Self Portrait

Self Portrait
Holly Pepper

Tread Lightly

Currently I am undertaking an internship in Utrecht, Netherlands with the renowned design team consisting of Tejo Remy + Rene Veenhuizen. Through this blog I plan to document my design experience in Holland.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Perth Festival 2010



The Perth Festival for 2010 has commenced again. Perthites are treated to lots of inspiring international acts over the course of 4 weeks.
On Friday I attended the Noel Lane Key Note Address. Noel Lane and his family have established The Gibb's Farm, which is a farming property in New Zealand which has been transformed into a spectacular Sculpture park. There are over twenty works at the farm, many of the works are created by world renowned sculptors such as Richard Serra and Andy Goldsworthy.
After listening to this talk my 3.6 m square work paled into insignificance. The scale of the works at this farm are immense. The works range from about 27 m to 40 m sized pieces. The time frame of the work generally stretched for about 5 years from the initial consultation to the final installation. These time frames were humbling, here I was pretty proud of the 6 months I have poured into the sculpture i have just made.
Anyway, if anything this talk gave me some insight into the life of sculpting in the future. There are things to look ahead to like private commissions for sight specific works, five year work time frames and even larger scales to create work at.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midland Atelier

Midland Atelier
The Water Tower Studio.

The Water Tower View

The Floor Mat

The Floor Mat
This is an organic looking floor mat I am creating. It was inspired by mold crawling up the wall