Self Portrait

Self Portrait
Holly Pepper

Tread Lightly

Currently I am undertaking an internship in Utrecht, Netherlands with the renowned design team consisting of Tejo Remy + Rene Veenhuizen. Through this blog I plan to document my design experience in Holland.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Artists Rights

Working in the arts in Western Australia means you are in a pretty tight social group . Sometimes when you get screwed over for your work, with things like delayed payments, lack of payment or stolen ideas. There is an urge to let stuff like this slide to prevent rocking the arts boat. Being such a small scene you fear that you will burn your bridges for future work or will tarnish your reputation. 
However, I would suggest  that any artist who is mistreated in anyway, should attempt to go public in an attempt to protect artists rights. To me this story in the West was a bit risky, but from the article half of the subsidy has been paid out and it has given the public a bit of an inside story on exhibiting in Sculpture by the Sea.

2 comments:

  1. I think the public would be quite surprised to know that artists exhibiting in such a high profile show would be treated in such a way. Good on you Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you have written about this Holly, sharing this sort of information can help other artists like myself, and I think its really important for the general public to understand the cost, hours and scale of public art and art in general. Wishing you all the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete

Midland Atelier

Midland Atelier
The Water Tower Studio.

The Water Tower View

The Floor Mat

The Floor Mat
This is an organic looking floor mat I am creating. It was inspired by mold crawling up the wall