Self Portrait

Self Portrait
Holly Pepper

Tread Lightly

Currently I am undertaking an internship in Utrecht, Netherlands with the renowned design team consisting of Tejo Remy + Rene Veenhuizen. Through this blog I plan to document my design experience in Holland.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hamburger Bahnhof



I never thought that I would fall asleep in an Art Gallery, but I did the other day! I am truly following in my mothers sleeping foot steps, which is slightly depressing. My mother once fell asleep in the middle of a telephone conversation.

Anyway, I was so mesmerized by some video art, and the comfy cinema like setup that I dozed off for a while. I woke up to a much larger audience of viewers and wondered how long I had been there?

Anyway, this all happened on my visit to Hamburger Banhof in Berlin, Germany. Hamburger Banhof is a railway station that has been converted into a massive art gallery. The space is a beautiful setting for a gallery. Big high ceilings has allowed for a spacious display of large artworks. It is worth a visit to this gallery just to see how well the artworks fit in the context of the gallery.

The most impressive artwork for me was an installation by Richard Long, an English artist. The work was made up of a series of natural objects, like stones, mud, decaying wood and pebbles. These various natural objects have been meticulously laid out into geometric shapes. The scale of the works is very stricking.

As for the rest of the gallery, I found it very conceptual. Conceptual art doesn’t exactly float my boat that much. There were so many video installations I went to sleep!

http://www.hamburgerbahnhof.de


No comments:

Post a Comment

Midland Atelier

Midland Atelier
The Water Tower Studio.

The Water Tower View

The Floor Mat

The Floor Mat
This is an organic looking floor mat I am creating. It was inspired by mold crawling up the wall