Self Portrait

Self Portrait
Holly Pepper

Tread Lightly

Currently I am undertaking an internship in Utrecht, Netherlands with the renowned design team consisting of Tejo Remy + Rene Veenhuizen. Through this blog I plan to document my design experience in Holland.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Colourscape


I am not to good at keeping up with this blogging business I have a back log of stories in my mind to write about, but never seem to find the time to sit down and stick them on the blog.

Anyway, I will start with the most current event. Yesterday I was determined not to be your typical tourist and arrive in the tour bus to see the tulip fields of Lisse. Instead I was determined to slog it out to get there. I made use of a beautiful summers day and cycled about 70 kilometres from Utrecht to Lisse. It took an exceptionally long time on my clunky old Dutch bike. I am guessing I had lots of old people comment in Dutch about the amount of noise my chain guard was making.

Anyway, the ride was pretty spectacular, I cycled through a lot of small towns, following the canals most of the journey. I did exceptionally well not getting lost until I got to Leiden. You would think it would be straight forward finding a tulip field, but not for old Hol. After many stops pulling out the map, asking for directions I found my way.

By the time I made it to Lisse, my knees were creaking and my thighs were aching. All I wanted to do was see a bloody tulip and my mission would be completed.

However, once I found one field I had a lot of inspiration to keep on riding. The wide expanses of colour were almost like an abstract painting. It was a very spectacular scene, seeing such vibrant colours. The cycling pains disappeared into the back of my mind, over taken by a visual feast of flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midland Atelier

Midland Atelier
The Water Tower Studio.

The Water Tower View

The Floor Mat

The Floor Mat
This is an organic looking floor mat I am creating. It was inspired by mold crawling up the wall